Day 21: Imabari to Onomichi

On our final day we cycled the Shimanami Kaido; a series of  bridges that span the inland sea, and links Shikoku Island back to Honshu or mainland Japan.  This is considered one of the top 7 cyling routes in the world.

Outlined below are some of the bridges we cycled across today.  I will close by summarizing my top 10 highlights from the Japan Samurai Epic.

Group photo approaching the first bridge.

Relive video of the Shimanami Kaido route.  Early into the route, I inadvertently paused my GPS so it didn't track the correct path for a few miles.  Otherwise the GPS track is correct for the remainder of the route.  

This first bridge was 2.5 miles long and a spectacular structure.

Bridge 2

Bridge 3

Photo of Shimanami Kaido route on bridge 3.

Bridge 4

Bridge 5

Action shot on the homestretch of the Samurai Epic.

This is my kind of place - Hotel Cycle that caters to cyclists!

Wonderful accomodations for our final evening at Hotel Cycle.

To close, here are my top 10 highlights from the Samurai Epic
1.  Climbing Mt. Ishizuchi, which is Western Japan’s highest peak at 6,503 feet!
2. Cycling Shimanami Kaido on the final day.
3. 28 mile descent in the Japanese Alps cycling from Takayama to Gujo.
4. The lya gorge on Shokuku Island.
5. Beautiful ocean vistas on the Noto Peninsula.
6.  Typhoon Hagibis.
7.  Eating fresh and healthy Japanese cuisine for 21 days. 
8.  Everything about Japan (onsens, safe, clean, nice roads, courteous drivers and friendly people).
9. The culture, history and beautiful temples and castles.
10.  Most importantly, the great riders and staff at Ride & Seek that I was able meet and enjoy this incredible journey and adventure the past 21 days.

That's all until my next adventure.

Adrian

Comments

Ellen Gainer said…
Fantastic journey. Thanks for letting us all join along (from the comfort of our couches). It looked amazing.
Cathy Lovett said…
I agree with Ellen - this whole trip was just beyond awesome! And I didn't even have to climb those mountains! I love your top ten post. I should have done that after C2C. Now, I won't remember. I do know my favorite day - it was when I able to spend time with my granddaughter in Lockhart. Icing on that day was the photo with Billy Gibbons.
Jodie said…
Great job Adrian! This would have been my favorite day. Lots of water and bridges. Thanks for "taking" me along on your trip. I can't wait until your next adventure. :-)
Mary Henry said…
What an amazing trip and memories.